Monday 9 December 2013

November Blog review



Time is a tricky thing in our lives. It just flies by and does not wait for those who are late…. I am talking about myself :) It is already December, so where is November gone so fast?
I think it is the best time to reflect upon my November practice as a dancer. 

As in previous review, I will reflect on Experiential Anatomy classes as I find them useful in order to understand my body. November was full of explorations as October, however, I have faced some difficulties. Exploration of movement patterns has continued whilst I was still stuck in one of the most complicated patterns for me which is mouthing pattern. The biggest surprise arises in my mind when I keep reading handouts given in class about infant’s development and I understand that all these patterns were done when I was a child. So why is it so difficult to go through them now when I am 21 years old? 

Mouthing pattern which is related to digestive system is one of the patterns which I would like to explore more. Maybe then I will become familiar with it? It is one of the most important patterns that have been used since I was a child: for searching food as well as vocal development. And now when I have used to it, it has never made me think that it is something amazing and it can be a stimulus for movement.

Studio practices have helped to go into depth of each movement pattern individually. I am looking forward to start term 2 in order to continue the research of my own body. One idea just popped into my head: every human being more or less went through similar movement patterns, however, have you ever realized how different we are? The only common thing is that we have 2 arms, 2 legs and head. Nothing else is identical. The way we walk, the way we sit, the way we execute different movements…. The world is full of surprises!

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that there is something that you don't quite understand yet about mouthing pattern within your personal development if you feel like you struggle when focusing on mouthing pattern or feel uncomfortable with it. I am not saying that there is something missing, but the best way for you to gain the better understanding of it could be moving more with the awareness of it and maybe involving some contact, and asking someone to observe and see if they notice anything that you tend to do or avoid of doing. You already have a great theoretical understanding of where this pattern underlies, it is just the physical inhabiting that could probably be improved if you still feel as if you have difficulties when working with this idea ;] Just a suggestion ;] x

    ReplyDelete